Determining Legal Responsibility After a Tire Blowout
You are driving behind a large 18-wheeler or semi-truck and notice that tread is flying through the air. The truck has experienced a tire blowout, and now you are caught in the crosshairs. Who is liable for the truck’s tire blowout, and are you entitled to compensation if you are injured in an accident?
At Truck.Law™ we handle trucking accident cases nationwide. Our experienced legal team represents individuals who have been seriously injured in truck collisions or accidents involving large commercial vehicles. If you or a loved one has been hurt due to a tire blowout or another type of truck accident, contact our office for a free consultation.
How Are Truck Tire Blowouts Caused?
Truck tire blowouts may be caused by several factors. It can be as straightforward as there was not enough air in the tire to support the weight of the truck, or it can be caused by a more complex issue like a design defect.
Common causes of truck tire blowouts:
- Inadequate maintenance - If a truck is not properly maintained, it may be more prone to tire blowouts. Routine maintenance on a large commercial vehicle includes checking to ensure that the tires are properly inflated, rotated and do not contain any leaks.
- Overloaded or overweight truck - An overloaded or overweight truck can put too much stress on a tire, causing a blowout. Trucking and shipping companies are required to ensure that vehicles do not exceed the maximum weight recommended by the tire manufacturer.
- Improperly inflated tire - Just as too much weight can cause catastrophic damage, so can insufficient inflation. A tire that is underinflated may cause the rubber to wear out faster.
- Defective part - In some instances, it may be a defect within the tire itself that caused the blowout. Millions of auto parts are recalled each year because they contain a design or manufacturing defect.
- Road debris or hazards - Any debris or roadway hazards can cause irreparable harm to trucking tires.
If you are injured due to a trucking tire blowout, you need to consult with an attorney as soon as possible. You might be entitled to compensation for your accident-related losses.
Who Is Liable for a Trucking Tire Blowout?
Determining who can be held liable for a trucking tire blowout can be challenging without the help of a lawyer. Depending on the circumstances of the case, it may be one or more parties that can be held legally responsible for your injuries.
Parties that may be involved in a trucking tire blowout case include the truck operator, trucking company, tire manufacturer, and another motorist. Tire blowouts can also cause multi-car pile-ups making it even more difficult to determine liability. Due to the complexities of these kinds of cases, it is strongly recommended that you speak to a trucking accident lawyer to determine the best course of legal action.
Injured Due to a Trucking Tire Blowout? Contact Our Office.
If you are injured in a trucking tire blowout, contact our office to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation. You might be entitled to compensation for your losses, including to pay for your medical bills, lost wages, future treatment, and pain and suffering.